Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Hello,

I have arrived at my PST (pre-service Training) site here in Ioloveni. A town of about 10,000 it seems. I am living with a Widow (Tamara Ivanovna) and her youngest son (Maxim). Tamara speaks no English and Maxim has about the same level as I do Russian. So to say the least, quite an interesting set-up. We live in an Apartment with 4 rooms, three are bedrooms and the other is a kitchen. Luckily however, I have an indoor toilet and an indoor bath. To say the least, all quite accommodating. My host mother is quite the talker, and the first few days I would be paying attention so hard - and be so lost - I would start laughing. Kinda awkward... However, it has gotten much better and she enjoys sitting in my room, dictionary between us, helping my correct my homework.

The other day walking home from school, I ran into my host brother Maxim and he said "GET IN CAR" so I did. We went to his girlfriends house, then to a pizzaria where we had some drinks and I got to meet his brother Slava and ten of their closest friends. As the only non-Russian speaker I stayed pretty quite (go figure) however I did get to put a few words in. We snaked on dried and salted sardines and calamari. Quite interesting, and I will get back to you on if I lied them or not. Other than that life is good here. The people are very hospitable, and love to feed us. I hear KUSHAT KUSHAT (eat eat) in my house more than I breathe.

I will try and get some pictures up in a few days, as soon as I figure out how to alter them so they fit. Also, outhouses are not that bad...we shall see in the winter. And finally, cold showers suck esp when it is about 36 degrees outside.

Either way...so far so good! Until your next installment of See Jays World, drink a Guinness for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home